This microwave baked potato is for you if you desire the delicious flavor of a baked potato but lack the patience. You'll have a delicious, mouthwatering meal after 13 minutes.
Best Potatoes for Baked Potatoes
The best type of potato for a microwave baked potato is a russet potato. The thick skin of russets crisp up beautifully, & they have extremely starchy interiors that guarantee a deliciously fluffy filling.
Top It All Off
Now, we all know that the toppings can make or break a baked potato (unless you're like me & will eat the potato by itself. Yup, I love potatoes that much!), so let's talk about some of my favorite combos:
- Butter, Bacon, Cheese, Sour Cream, Chives, & Red Pepper Flakes ( as shown in photos)
- Butter, Chili Of Choice, Cheese, Sour Cream, & Jalapeños
- Butter, Steamed Broccoli, & Cheddar Cheese
- Butter, Sautéed Bell Peppers, Sautéed Onions, & New Orleans Style Andouille Sausage
- Butter, Shredded Chicken, BBQ Sauce, Cheese, Sour Cream, & Chives
As you can see, the topping possibilities for microwave baked potatoes are endless, so have fun with it!
How To Make Microwave Baked Potatoes - Complete How-To Guide
When it’s baked potato night but you’re short on time, a microwave baked potato is a lifesaver, & tastes like it took all night to make!
Ingredients For Microwave Baked Potatoes
If I haven't said it enough yet, this recipe is super easy, & if the ingredient list doesn't prove it, I don't know what will.
- Russet Potatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
See recipe card for quantities.
Yup, that's it! Now Let's get cooking!
How To Make Microwave Baked Potatoes - Step-By-Step
The recipe is super simple, will make your mouth water, and you can whip it up in 13 minutes!
Combine your hot water & salt together in a medium sized bowl. Whisk to dissolve the salt.
Wash your potato, & poke holes all over it with a fork.
Place your potato in your salt water mixture for a minute continuously rolling the potato, so the holes can soak up the salt water.
Place your potato in a microwave safe dish & microwave for 5 minutes on high. Flip your potato, & microwave for 5 more minutes on high.
Carefully cut open your potato, add your toppings, & enjoy
- Butter before cheese: By putting the butter on your potato before any other topping, it allows all the salty goodness to soak into the potato!
- Melt your cheese: Melt your cheese in the oven or microwave before eating your potato! This will give you all those sexy cheese strings.
- The " X " cut: By cutting an " X " on the top of your potato to open it, you will have a picture perfect baked potato! (shown in photo below)
Also Check Out:Print
- 1 Russet Potato
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine your hot water & salt together in a medium sized bowl. Whisk to dissolve the salt.
- Wash your potato, & poke holes all over it with a fork.
- Place your potato in your salt water mixture for a minute continuously rolling the potato, so the holes can soak up the salt water.
- Place your potato in a microwave safe dish & microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- Flip your potato, & microwave for 5 more minutes on high.
- Carefully cut open your potato, add your toppings, & enjoy
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: 15 minute recipes
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: microwave baked potato
Always remember to poke a few holes in the potatoes with a fork before baking them; this will let the steam out and prevent them from exploding.
Yes, just make sure the microwave safe dish is large enough for the both of them!