One of my favorite comfort foods is banana bread, but usually, when the craving kicks in, I don't have time to bake a whole loaf of bread. So, I made this delicious Banana Bread Mug Cake recipe!
The best part about this recipe besides how quick it is? It tastes like you spent all day making it!
Be ready to WOW any banana bread lover with this easy recipe!
No Big Mess? Yes Please!
Whether you choose to add the streusel (I highly recommend not skipping this step!) or not, this recipe makes nearly no mess!
If you decide to make the streusel, this recipe only requires two small bowls & a mug. If you opt out of making the streusel, you'll only need the mug!
This banana bread mug cake is a quick and easy way to satisfy that craving! It makes one serving, so if you need more, just double or triple the ingredients. If you double or triple the recipe make sure you also change the mug size. A single-serving fits perfectly into a standard 11-ounce mug.
How to Make Banana Bread in The Microwave - Complete How-To Guide
This banana bread recipe is ideal for days when you crave something sweet but don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen baking. The best part about this bread is that it only takes a few minutes to prepare, so you won’t have to wait long before you get your first bite!
- A Mashed Ripe Banana
- Canola Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Whole Milk
- Baking Powder
- Sea Salt
- Chocolate Chips & Chopped Salted Nuts *optional toppings*
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Banana Bread Mug Cake
This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this delicious banana bread mug cake in the microwave. The recipe is super simple, and you can whip it up in no time!
Mash up the ripe banana.
Add in the milk.
Add in the oil.
Add the vanilla extract.
Add the molasses.
Add the dark brown sugar.
Add the flour.
Sprinkle in the salt.
Add in the baking powder.
Add in the cinnamon
Mix until fully combined.
How To Make Streusel For Banana Bread Mug Cake
Add the chopped candied nuts to a bowl.
Add in the flour & dark brown sugar as well.
Mix until nuts are fully coated in flour & sugar.
In a microwave safe mug add a layer of the banana bread batter.
Next, sprinkle a layer of the streusel on top of the layer of batter.
Continue layering until you are out of batter. Top with a layer of streusel.
Add the desired toppings.
Microwave on high for 1 minute & 20 seconds. Let it sit in the microwave for 3 minutes after the cooking time is up.
Hint: Using candied nuts in your streusel takes this banana bread to the next level!
If you are looking for a vegan or gluten-free banana bread mug cake, you're in the right place. Just make these simple substitutions:
- Vegan - instead of milk try oat or almond milk.
- Gluten Free - use gluten free all-purpose flour like cup for cup
For this recipe all you will need is a microwave!Print
Banana Bread Mug Cake
Not sure about you, but I love banana bread but not the effort required to make it. So, I made this delicious banana bread mug cake recipe!
- Total Time: 9 minutes 20 seconds
- Yield: 1 1x
- ⅓ cup Mashed Banana
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Molasses
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Whole Milk
- 3 tbsp Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Sea Salt
Streusel *SEE NOTES*
- 1 tsp Flour
- 1 tsp Dark Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Chopped Candied Nuts
- Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Salted Nuts
- In a bowl whisk your banana, oil, milk, molasses, vanilla, & sugar. Mix until fully combined. About 30 seconds.
- Add in your flour, salt, baking powder, & cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl mix up all of the streusel ingredients.
- In a microwave safe mug layer both the banana bread batter & streusel, starting with the banana bread batter.
- If you decide to add any toppings, add them now. I typically will use the rest of my streusel as a topping if there is any left & skip adding extra nuts.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute & 20 seconds.
- Let your Banana Bread Mug Cake sit in the microwave for 3 minutes before removing.
* If you would like to skip the streusel simply follow all of the other instructions & cooking times.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes 20 seconds
- Category: 15 minute recipes
- Method: microwave
Keywords: banana bread mug cake
Black bananas work best for banana bread, not yellow ones. The stem can have the slightest trace of green, or they at least have black/brown streaks. When cooking banana bread, there is no such thing as a too-ripe banana, so the darker, the better.
When you use too much banana, your bread may get heavy and moist in the middle, making it seem underdone and unpleasant.
Leave a Reply